Be Safe With Summer Activity
You may have noticed that it’s hot outside. But don’t let the heat make you “take a break” from fitness. With some creativity and practicing safety, it can be a great time to be active and even outside.
Be smart, though, when you are outside in hot weather. Here are some ways to lessen your chances of getting sick from the heat:
- Drink plenty of water before, during, and after being active. Skip drinks with alcohol and caffeine.
- Workout in the cooler parts of the day - early morning or evening. When exercising, lighten your level of activity when it’s really hot or humid. Lower your speed or distance as needed. Rest and take breaks out of the sun.
- Ease in to summer. It can take 4 to 14 days for your body to get used to warmer temperatures.
- Wear sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, and light, loose-fitting clothing made of breathable fabric in light colors.
- Find a buddy or family member who will join you in being active. It is safer, and you could have more fun.
With those things in mind, there are many fun ways to keep our bodies moving in the summer. Water activities are a great way to be active while keeping cool. For fun, head out to the pool. Have a water fight or run through the sprinkler. Swimming is a great fitness choice, especially for those who need lower impact for their joints and bones. Remember to reapply sunscreen every 2 hours, and after swimming or sweating.
Other great summer things to do are biking, walking, hiking, canoeing, playing in the sand, and throwing the Frisbee. Any time you are outside, be prepared for heat, bugs, and sun. Enjoy the outdoors and stay active!
For questions or more tips on being active, call the Four Corners Health Department at (402) 362-2621 or 877-337-3573. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Stay active this summer to keep your body happy and healthy.
Posted on Fri, July 26, 2019
by Angel Dale filed under