Black-Eyed Peas and Rice with Andouille Sausage
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) bag boil-in-bag long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup pre-chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasonin
- 6 ounces chicken andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 cup fat-free less-sodium
- 1 (15 ounce) can black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5) ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (like Tobasco)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions.
- Place rice bag in an 8-inch square baking dish; cover with water. Microwave on HIGH 6 minutes. Drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, minced garlic, and Cajun seasoning to pan. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in sausage and cook 1 minute. Add rice, chicken broth, black-eyed peas, and tomatoes to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 4 minutes, or until rice is tender. Stir in hot pepper sauce. Ladle about 1 1/4 cups mixture into each of 4 bowls. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons green onions.
Nutrients Per Serving: Calories 251, Protein 13.4g, Carbohydrate 37.7g, Total Fat 4.9g, Fiber 5g,Cholesterol 46mg, Sodium 714mg
Source: Cooking Light: Complete Meals in Minutes
Posted on Mon, January 1, 2018
by Angel Dale filed under