Cuban Beans and Rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper (or try other colors)
- 3 cups cooked black beans, drained
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Saute the garlic, onion, and green bell pepper until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, broth, vinegar, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Spoon bean mixture over cooked rice and serve hot.
Nutrients Per Serving: Calories 407, Protein 19g, Carbohydrate 72g, Sugar 3g,Total Fat 6g, Saturated Fat 1g, Fiber 15g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 352mg
Source: Home Run Cooking Cookbook
- You can prepare your own dried beans, or used canned.
- If you like to add meat, consider turkey sausage or shrimp.
- Fill half your plate with fruits and veggies.
Posted on Thu, March 1, 2018
by Angel Dale