Many of us have fruits and veggies all around us. Farmers’ Markets, gardens, grocery stores, neighbors, potlucks, school, and more! But not as many of us get them on our plate.
We know that eating fruits and vegetables is good for us. Why then are only 1 out of 4 adults eating the amount of fruit needed each day? Or 1 out of 7 eating the amount of veggies needed each day?
Eating plenty of veggies and fruits can help us in these ways:
- Lower our risk for heart disease and some types of cancer.
- Lessen our chances of getting diabetes.
- Keep or get to a healthier weight.
- Help our body be strong and active.
Here are some tips to help us eat more fruits and veggies:
- Eat these at snack time instead of chips.
- Keep a bowl of fruit washed and ready where the whole family can see it.
- Cut up fruits and veggies on the weekend. Have them on the front shelf of the frig so they are easy to grab.
- Challenge your family to try a new veggie or fruit every week.
- Fruits and veggies can be fun for making art. Use cream cheese and rice cakes for making faces. Use toothpicks for making creatures. Nibbling on the art work is welcome!
- Keep in mind, eating more fruits and veggies can be fun – and it’s worth it!
For more good info, visit http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/
A great line to think of when planning meals: Fill half your plate with fruits and veggies. Start with these and then add the rest.
Here’s a recipe to try that uses veggies and a fruit!
Apple Coleslaw Makes 4 (1 cup) servings
- 2 cups washed cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium carrot grated or ½ cup
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1 apple
- 5 Tablespoons plain low‐fat yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise, low‐fat or fat‐free
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Peel the carrot. Grate it with a grater. Chop green pepper and apple into small pieces.
- Put the cabbage, carrot, green pepper, and apple in a large mixing bowl. Stir together.
- Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and celery seed in a small bowl. Stir together to make a dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Toss to mix. Add pepper to taste.
- Find ways to enjoy fruits and veggies every day. Call Four Corners for recipes or a presentation on adding fruits and veggies to your day. Ask for a free program for your workplace, church, club, or school. Call 402-362-2621 or toll free at 877-337-3573. Send email to email@example.com. Fruits and veggies can make every meal a great meal!
Posted on Thu, September 8, 2016
by Angel Dale filed under