Get Ready for Spring Weather
We have all heard the expression “If you don’t like the weather in Nebraska, wait 5 minutes and it will change.” Most of us have been through this in spring weather, here in Nebraska. A sunny day in the morning can change to severe weather in the afternoon, so many times it will change from hour to hour.
Thunderstorms cause most of the severe spring weather, bringing lightning, tornadoes and flooding. Because our weather can change so quickly we need to be ready before the storm starts.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) tells us to prepare for severe weather and disasters by having a home emergency kit. In your kit, you should have:
- A flashlight
- A battery-powered NOAA weather radio
- Extra batteries
- An emergency evacuation or shelter plan that includes a map of your home, and routes to safety from each room. Practice your plan.
- A list of important personal information:
- phone numbers of neighbors, family, and friends
- insurance and property information
- phone numbers of utility companies
- medical information
- A First Aid kit that has:
- non-latex gloves
- different styles and sizes of bandages
- antibiotic ointment
- sterile gauze pads in many sizes
- absorbent compress dressings
- adhesive cloth tape
- aspirin packets (81 mg each)
- first aid booklet
(NOTE: Customize your first aid kit to meet the needs of you and your family)
- Enough bottled water and nonperishable food for 3-5 days
- Personal hygiene items
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- Don’t forget to place an emergency kit in your car as well
The safety of your loved ones could depend on you being prepared. For more information on weather preparedness go to; www.cdc.gov/features/springweather or www.ready.gov/severe-weather
For questions contact Four Corners Health Department at (402) 362-2621 or toll free (877) 337-3573 or see our website at: www.fourcorners.ne.gov
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Posted on Thu, June 1, 2017
by Angel Dale filed under