- 1 lb. uncooked ground turkey breast or 90% lean or higher ground beef
- 1/2 cup purchased salsa
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion (such as Vidalia or Maui Maui)
- 1 of a medium red sweet pepper, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 4 purchased tostada shells
- 1/2 of a medium avocado, seeded, peeled, and sliced or chopped
- In a medium bowl, combine turkey, salsa, cumin, black pepper, and salt. Mix well. Shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties. Fold a 24x12-inch piece of heavy-duty foil in half to make a 12-inch square. Place onion and sweet pepper in center of foil; drizzle with oil. Bring up two opposite edges of foil and seal with a double fold. Fold remaining edges together to completely enclose the vegetables, leaving space for steam to build.
- For a charcoal grill, place vegetable packet and patties on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 10 to 13 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the side of each patty registers 165 degrees F for turkey or 160 degrees F for beef and vegetables are tender, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place packet and patties on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above).
- Serve grilled patties on tostada shells. Top with veggies and avocado.
Note: Serve this with a fruit. Fill half your pale with fruits and veggies.
Nutrients per serving: Calories 285, Protein 29g, Carbohydrates 20g, Total Fat 10g, Fiber 5mg, Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 430mg.
Source: Diabetic Living Online
Posted on Mon, August 1, 2016
by Robin Lindauer filed under