Have a Healthier Holiday
This month offers so many tasty things to eat and fun things to do. Let’s find some ways to enjoy these things AND be kinder to our body!
Here are some tips for a healthier holiday season:
- Look at ways to make favorite recipes healthier. Go to https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/, click on “My Recipe” and get started on improving your recipes.
- Add all the food groups to your event. Have fresh fruit at the table. Use whole grain bread or crackers. Offer fresh veggies with a yogurt dip. Include a recipe with beans.
- Use lean meats. Trim the fat you can see before cooking. Bake or broil instead of frying.
- Think about the drink. Offer water with fresh fruit added, such as lemon slices or strawberries.
- Bake with less fat and more spice. Use applesauce instead of all the butter. Add less sugar; most people don’t notice. Have fun with spices.
- Make the dessert a healthier choice. Try baked apples with cinnamon, instead of apple pie. Give the kids all the supplies for making their own yogurt parfait.
- Enjoy more than food at your party. Find games that get the guests moving. Turn on some music and dance. Have a stack of board games out.
- Think of how to be more active when planning the event and when buying gifts. Invite the family to take a walk after the dinner. Give new walking shoes or a workout DVD for the family member trying to set good habits.
- Share healthy recipes with your guests. Include a recipe that would use the leftovers from your meal. Visit this website for some ideas: http://healthyeating.nhlbi.nih.gov
- Join together to help others who don’t have as much. Fix a meal for someone who may be lonely. Give needed foods to a food bank.
Adapted from: 10 Tips Nutrition Education Series “Make Healthier Holiday Choices”. https://www.choosemyplate.gov/printable-materials
Contact Four Corners Health Department for free resources on healthier eating, being more active, safety, and dealing with stress. Toll-free: 1-877-337-3573; Email: email@example.com. Visit Four Corners’ new website at www.fourcorners.ne.gov.
Posted on Thu, December 15, 2016
by Angel Dale filed under