Reach Your Goals in Small Steps
January is full of promise for many people. Fresh starts. New beginnings. Second chances.
We want this year to be different in some way. That usually involves setting a new positive habit. New and better habits don’t just happen from thinking about them. A little bit of effort is needed to make it a habit that will last. The bit of effort needed is well worth it when you think of how that new habit will impact your life. Plus, the people around you will benefit from the change you made.
The key is Small Steps!
Here are some tips for having success in setting a new habit:
- Be specific about what you want to change or do differently. An example: To help lower my blood pressure, I will increase my physical activity to 30 minutes per day 5 days a week by the end of March.
- Team up with a friend or family member to be part of your physical activity plan. You can cheer each other on to success!
- Take small steps toward this goal. Maybe right now you walk 10 minutes a day for 4 days a week. Write out a step-by-step plan for yourself that slowly adds minutes and eventually adds another day. Be sure to make a plan you KNOW you can do.
- Stay focused on the big picture. You may miss a day or not get as far you want on a certain day. Don’t give up. Figure out what went wrong that day and make adjustments. Focus on what you do the next day.
- Pick activities that you enjoy. If you enjoy them, you will do them.
- Celebrate the success you have. Do this not only at the end, but build in ways to do this for all the small steps toward the main goal.
Setting new habits can be fun. It even can help you gain confidence for tackling other areas that may be more challenging.
For more tips on small steps for healthier living, call Four Corners at 877-337-3573. Or send email to email@example.com. Reaching your goal is just a small step away!
Posted on Thu, January 3, 2019
by Angel Dale