Prep Time: 20 minutes; Cook time: 4 hours. Serves 6 (1-cup servings)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 pound (raw) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth, plus additional if needed
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 1 Tablespoon chopped basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicy!)
- 4 ounces uncooked dry gemelli or penne pasta
- Chopped fresh basil or parsley for garnish
1. In a slow cooker, stir together garlic, bell pepper, crushed tomatoes, chicken, broth, onion, 1/2 cup cheese, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook on high 3 1/2 hours or on low 7 hours.
2. Transfer chicken breasts to cutting board and coarsely shred; return to slow cooker. Stir in pasta. Cook on high 30 minutes longer, or until pasta is cooked al dente. If soup becomes too thick after pasta is cooked, stir in additional broth until desired consistency is reached, and warm through.
3. Serve garnished with extra Parmesan cheese and chopped basil or parsley.
Nutrients Per Serving: Calories 138, Protein 14g, Carbohydrate 13g, Total Fat 4g, Fiber 6mg, Sodium 617mg
Posted on Thu, December 1, 2016
by Angel Dale filed under